Saturday, August 20, 2011

More Butterflies from Princess.....

Okay, so I just felt like I needed to do an addendum to my last blog “Always Look for Your Butterflies.” If you haven’t read my last blog, please take just a moment to do so…it will help you understand the significance of what I’m going to write about now.  This story isn’t really meant to be preachy, but I am definitely a very spiritual person. I just couldn’t pass up the opportunity to share this story of His presence in my life, and how we all have to be open to that presence…and sometimes...you don’t have to look far at all.


On Tuesday of this week, I went to Princess’ visitation. I spent some time visiting with her mom, and then some time at her casket…and she actually did look like a princess….sparkly pink lip gloss and all.  I then stopped to visit with her grandmother. We visited for a very long time. We shared stories that made us laugh and cry, and she told me stories of Princess’ last few days. We had done a lot of pretty significant sharing, so I decided to share with her the story of my butterfly…the swallowtail butterfly that reminded me that child life is what I’m supposed to be doing right now.  As I finished my story she said, “Did you say it was a swallowtail butterfly?” I replied, “Yes” and then she asked, “Did you see the picture of Princess when you signed the guest book? Did you see what she was holding?” (This picture was taken the month before at her Uncle’s wedding; she was the flower girl. Princess was such a beauty and extremely photogenic. She was dressed in a beautiful off-white satin dress, with flowers in her hair.) I said that I did see the picture, but didn’t pay attention to what she was holding. “Debbie, she was holding a butterfly…a swallowtail butterfly.”


Tears immediately began to sting my eyes...this was the same kind of butterfly that God had sent to me as a sign the day before Princess died. “But wait, Debbie, it gets better” said her grandmother. She proceeded to tell me that four days before Princess died, she was at her grandmother’s house and they were out in her backyard. There was a butterfly flitting about and Princess said, “I want to hold the butterfly, Grandma!! Catch it for me, Grandma, catch it!!” She said that the butterfly had landed on one of the bushes so she went over to see if she could catch it. She said the butterfly sat perfectly still with its wings pressed together, seemingly waiting to be picked up. She picked up the butterfly and took it to Princess who held out her finger. Grandma put the butterfly on Princess’ finger.  She held it for a short time and admired its beauty, all the while talking about just how beautiful it was. She then raised her finger to release the butterfly.

It was, naturally, a swallowtail butterfly.  


Her grandma told me that because Princess loved butterflies so much, they decided to have a butterfly etched on her headstone. Two days after she died, Grandma decided to go out into the yard and see if she could find a butterfly to take a picture of…they wanted a picture of one of her real butterflies for her headstone. Grandma went out into the yard to look for a butterfly. She found one sitting right on that same bush. She thought there was no way that butterfly would sit there while she got close enough to photograph it. But that butterfly did sit there while she went to get her camera. When she approached, its wings were pressed together, but as she inched closer and zoomed, the butterfly opened its glorious wings and just waited. Grandma did get that picture…she got the most beautiful picture of that butterfly, and I think by now, you know exactly what kind of butterfly it was….


Princess’ grandma and I both cried…all over again.


You always have to be looking for your butterflies….you just never know where they will be, or when they will appear….but it’s usually just when you need them.

1 comment:

  1. I love this story and it's meaning. I love that you shared it again! xoxoxox

    ReplyDelete